700 UNIQUE VINYL SLEEVES
Running from 2012 - 2020, the original Secret 7” captured the imaginations of record collectors and art connoisseurs alike by bringing the two artforms together with the help of a surprise element. Having raised over £500,000 for charity causes in its first iteration, the much-loved Secret 7” project is now being relaunched by War Child to support our goal of ensuring a safe future for every child affected by war.
The concept behind Secret 7” is simple. 7 iconic musicians provide a track, each of which features on a limited edition pressing of 100 7” vinyl records. Artists from all over the world, ranging from household names to talented newcomers, contribute unique sleeve designs.
The 700 records will be shown at a free public exhibition which will be returning to NOW Gallery on London’s Greenwich Peninsula from 2nd - 17th March, after which point they will be sold via an online auction. There’s just one twist: the identity of the artist behind the record sleeve isn’t revealed until it’s sold. Therein lies the secret. All proceeds will benefit War Child.
Head of War Child Records, Rich Clarke, commented: "We are delighted to announce the return of the iconic Secret 7” project, which will help raise funds to support War Child’s crucial work in conflict zones around the world. War Child operates in some of the most challenging, hard-to-reach places to help children and families who are most severely affected by war. Sadly, demand for our work is growing. Our goal is to reach children as quickly as possible when conflict breaks out and to provide ongoing support long after the cameras have gone to support them through their recovery. We believe no child should be part of war. Ever. This is why projects like Secret 7” are so important. We are grateful to all the musicians, artists and partners who are involved in Secret 7”. Together, we will be able to protect and educate many more children, supporting their healing and learning for a safer, brighter future. Thank you."
NOW Gallery and Greenwich Peninsula Senior Cultural Projects Manager, Kaia Charles said, “We are looking forward to supporting War Child through the creative synergy of art and music. NOW Gallery is thrilled that Secret 7” is returning to Greenwich Peninsula in 2024 – which marks the gallery’s 10th year anniversary.”
As a unique, one-of-a-kind item, each record will instantly be highly collectible. Factor in that each participating musician commands a huge following and that previous contributing sleeve designers have included the likes of Sir Peter Blake, Yoko Ono, Sir Paul Smith, and Jake and Dinos Chapman, and you can start to understand why Secret 7” developed a cult following during its past tenure.
The tracks for War Child Presents Secret 7” project are:
- Aurora - 'A Different Kind of Human'
- Celeste - ‘Stop This Flame’: The highest charting single from her 2021 UK #1 album ‘Not Your Muse’.
- Hozier - ‘Swan Upon Leda’: A 2022 release that now makes its vinyl debut.
- Siouxsie & The Banshees - ‘Lullaby’: A deep cut b-side that also featured on the CD edition of the 1986 album ‘Tinderbox’.
- Paul McCartney - ‘Pipes of Peace’: The title track to his 1983 solo album and a UK #1 single.
- The Chemical Brothers feat. Beck - ‘Skipping Like A Stone’: The latest collaboration between the two artists, which featured on The Chemical Brothers’ recent Top 10 album ‘For That Beautiful Feeling’.
- The Specials - ‘We Sell Hope’: The closing track on their 2019 #1 comeback album ‘Encore’.